Wednesday, May 30, 2012

8 miles and a monthly total PR

8 more miles in the books this morning.  Glad to get it done.  That puts the monthly total at 57 miles.  I'm pretty sure that's the most I've ever run in one month.  Its certainly a PR since I've been taking data like this, but I'm pretty sure I've never run that much before in a month's time.

All in all, the run was OK.  Pace ended up at 9:34, HR ave at 142, and cadence was 84.  However, I wish I didn't have this to report, but there was some ITB discomfort.  It wasn't awful, but it was the most prevalent since my earliest runs this season.  It certainly had my attention.

In fact, the ITB first let its presence be known at just over 2 miles.  I was less than happy about that, but the feeling did go away just as it has over many runs this season.  But it also came back not long after.  I was really seriously considering calling an abort on the run.  I likely would have just finished out 5 back to the house, and called it.  However, on the way back to the house, on the 5 loop, even though the ITB came and went over and over and over, it eventually settled in and didn't make its presence known after that.

So, instead of diving out for another 3 mile loop, I did much smaller loops just as a safety move.  This way, if something with the ITB came up, I wouldn't be far from home.  I was able to finish out the full 8 miles.  I was really lucky that the heat had eased up a bit.  It was around 70deg for my run, and the cloud cover kept the sun off me.  I still sweated like a whore in church, but I did OK.

While the schedule shows just one rest day, I'm thinking two.  This is mostly due to my ITB issues today.  The rest of this week and all of next week are all shorter runs before going for a 9 mile run.  I think a half-marathon would be within reach right now, but I'm not needing to run one.  I might a little later as one of my 12 or 13 mile workout runs, but it sure wouldn't be for a race time.  My goal is the 26.2 in Oct.

No comments:

Post a Comment