Ran this morning with Shelley this morning. She was only doing 2 miles, since she's still scaled back after her half-marathon. So, we ran the first 2 together, then I ran on for another 2. I ran pretty hard for my second loop. I did get a twinge in my left knee on that second loop but it wasn't quite in the ITB area that I had the injury with. It was just of inside the middle of the knee and it only lasted about 1/4 mile. I wonder if it may have been some scar tissue breaking up in there? That's totally just a guess. I'm not an MD by any stretch of the imagination. I did some looking around on the web for deals on the Garmin forerunner 210. I really couldn't find much different pricing than from my local running store, Fleet Feet. So, I'm happy to give my business to them. They have been great for recommending better shoes for me, and some inserts that really work for me too. So, I picked up the watch with the premium soft HRM and recharging clip, for $250. That purchase also came with a $25 off coupon! So, it was more like getting the watch and accessories for $225.
So, we'll see how the GPS watch does. I really like the Garmin 210 model. For one, its not stupid big and obnoxious on my wrist. I will admit, I've never had a watch that I had to think about recharging on any kind of regular basis. GPS watches, when in GPS mode, will eat the battery in only about 8hrs. Also, depending on tree cover during trail running, you might not be able to get good satellite signals. There is a foot pod I can get for it, and might do that later. A GPS watch is also useless if you're running on an indoor track (since you're inside), or even on a treadmill (since you're not actually moving). So, I could use the foot pod as a backup for trail runs if I can't much satellite signal or through the winter when I'm on treadmills. Then again, treadmills tend to have speed and pace displays and all that. Who knows. We'll see.
So, the plan for tomorrow morning is to take a nice and easy 1 mile run so that Shelley can better calibrate her foot-pod, since her watch isn't a GPS model. And, that will let me log some data, upload it to https://connect.garmin.com and see what kind of data, plots, maps, etc I can play about with!
No comments:
Post a Comment