Today was certainly a bit of a surprise... ran in a local 5k race. My goal was to try and match a pace that I had earlier in the year, on a training run (very flat terrain) where I averaged a pace of 8:02. I wanted to match or beat that pace today.
Turns out, I did beat it. 7:42 pace! I ran the 5k in 23:26. No doubt, that's a big PR for me. I even held back in a few places, just really trying to hold my pace on the shiny side of an 8 min/mile pace, and not go too fast, and then start to run on empty at the end. It worked, and I was damn near on the podium for my age group. 20 seconds off the 3rd place guy. Grrrr... Oh well, I really can't be upset. I really can't. I ran well, felt great, the weather was perfect, and I had a great race.
Even my HR was way better than I would have thought. At a PR pace, my ave HR was 161. I did have some kick at the end, and it was just enough to make a pass on the guy in front of me. However, in his defense, he was 62.
Overall, I finished in 30th out of around 280 runners. Perhaps not the most competitive field, but still... That puts me right around the top 10%. Sweeet! Oh, and the guy that won it... he did it in 17 mins.
No comments:
Post a Comment